Options Trading Simulation
Registration and general information
Complete the registration form.
Friday, September 18, 2015, at 5:00 p.m. (EDT).
Each team must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or MBA program in Canada.
Teams must be composed of one to four participants. There is no limit to the number of teams by university or faculty.
- Each team is given a virtual cash account of $100,000 to build its options portfolio.
- This eight-week Options Trading Simulation is held during the 2015 fall term, from September 28, 2015 to November 20, 2015.
- Each team is strongly encouraged to attend an education session hosted by their university's Student Ambassador on September 23, 2015, at 5:00 p.m. (EDT). This education session will focus on the mandatory components of the simulation, the options trading strategies, the trading simulator functionalities as well as the alerts and quotes. This presentation will be followed by a live question period through webcast.
- To construct their options portfolio, teams must choose at least five Canadian option classes from the 50 most active securities.
- Each mandatory strategy must have a minimum notional value of $5,000 or 10 option contracts. There is no minimum holding period required.
- Each initiating stock and option transaction is limited to a maximum of 5,000 shares and 50 contracts on the same option serie. (New)
- Mandatory strategies must be traded in a single transaction by selecting the "Transaction Type" field of the Trading Simulator, and not by legs.
- Each team can receive a maximum of five "Margin Calls" during the simulation. (New)
- All positions must be liquidated before market close on November 20, 2015.
Each team must execute the following three predefined options trading strategies:
- Covered call
- Bear put spread
- Each team must execute two surprise strategies that will be unveiled by email on the 2nd and 6th trading weeks respectively.
- Participants have to comply with all the mandatory components & strategies to be eligible for prizes.
For more details, please see the Regulations for the simulation.
Three winning teams, having fulfilled all the mandatory components, while achieving the best returns after eight weeks of trading, will be awarded a 1st prize of $10,000, a 2nd prize of $5,000 and a 3rd prize of $2,500 respectively from the Montréal Exchange.
The best performing team per university as well as the top 50 teams in the Canadian ranking, having fulfilled all the mandatory components, will receive a certificate of excellence.
Equity option strategy sheets
Guides and strategies offered by the Montréal Exchange are available on the website for your reference.